An interesting silver Tablespoon from the Guildhall, Westminster.
A George III hanoverian pattern Tablespoon, London circa 1757, by Isaac Callard, the reverse of the stem engraved with ‘Guildhall Westminster‘ above the arms of Westminster and the motto of the courts of justice in Westminster: ‘Discite justitiam moniti‘. This motto was on a clock-house, the building once used by the courts opposite Westminster Hall. The Guildhall, itself, was used by the local government court of the burgesses of the City and Liberty of Westminster under the High Steward.
The spoon is also later engraved with ‘J. Wilson 1827‘, over an apparent erasure of an earlier name. All of the surviving spoons from the Guildhall have later names added.
Good but with the name added later. [See below].
Length – 20.70 cm.; Width – 4.30 cm.; Weight – 75.60 gms.