An early 18th century English silver Box.
A 18th century circular Box, with snap clasp, maker’s mark ‘M’ crowned for John Mulford [Grimwade 1970], London circa 1716.
Another Box by this maker, of very similar form but slightly deeper, is illustrated in E. Delieb, ‘Investing in Silver’, p. 100.
Additional information about Mulford can be found on the excellent website http://www.925-1000.com/forum in the section devoted to updating the work of Grimwade. In common with many early English silver box makers, it would seem that Mulford was free of the Clockmakers’ Company in London. Mulford’s will was proved in London in 1747. He had a son of the same name, also free of the Clockmakers’ Company, and is recorded as taking Abel Browne of Hendon as his apprentice from 1717 and William Howes (Grimwade p.553) as his apprentice from 1721.
Height – 1.40cm.; Diameter – 3.80cm.