A Victorian souvenir of the Floating Chapel in Oxford.
Oxford Floating Chapel.
An ivory Aide Memoire, circa 1840, engraved with a view of the floating Chapel built by the Oxford boat builder, Henry Ward, which he moored in Castle Mill Stream and which opened in 1839 as a chapel for the boatmen and a school for their children. The aide memoire is engraved on the reverse: ‘Floating Episcopal Chapel Oxford Built and Endowed by H. Ward Esq.’
The ivory mounted with a nickel-silver clasp and hinge.
Good but lacking a pencil.
Length – 6 cm.; Width – 4 cm.; Depth – 0.70 cm.; Weight – 24.90 gms.