A set of four George III brass Candlesticks with extensive remains of silvering.
A set of four tall brass George III Corinthian column Candlesticks with detachable nozzles, circa 1775, the sticks with substantial remains of silvering. Each stick and each nozzle is engraved with a family crest for the family of Bischoff.
Bernard Bischoff [1696-1764], who was born in Basle, settled in Leeds circa 1715. He was one of a number of prosperous immigrant merchants who settled in Leeds in the early 18th century. Bernard had four sons: the eldest, John James [1729-1806] married the daughter of a London silk-merchant and had three sons, all merchants; the second son, George [died 1812], was a banker in Leeds.
There are newspaper references to various members of the Bischoff family, each of whom might have been the owners of these candlesticks. Amongst these: Nicholas Bischoff, Esq., was living at at Park Place in Leeds in 1790; David Bischoff was carrying on a business as a book dealer in Soho in 1766; Frederick Bischoff was appointed oculist to the King in 1792.
[For information about the Merchants in Leeds, see ‘Gentlemen Merchants: the Merchant Community in Leeds 1700-1830’, by Richard George Wilson, publ. Manchester University Press, 1971.]
The candlesticks are formed from cast and seamed columns which are secured by a central iron rod with screw end into the base of the stick. A gadrooned collar sits over the junction between column and base. This form of candlestick construction is illustrated in Robert Gentle and Rachael Field ‘English Domestic Brass’.
The sticks are in good condition but one has had lead solder applied to the inside of the base to secure the central iron rod. There are extensive remains of silvering. There is some surface corrosion on the underside on the candlestick bases.
Height – 28.50 cm.; Width – 12.20 cm.; Weight of the four candlesticks together – 3591.50 gms.