A George III silver Mug holding three Gills.
A George III baluster silver Mug, of three gills capacity [three quarters of a Pint],London 1763, by Alexander Saunders. The front of the Mug engraved with the owner’s contemporary double crest.
Saunders, the son of a brassfounder, was apprenticed to Walter Brind in 1748 and was made free in 1756. He entered his own mark at Goldsmiths’ Hall a year later and his surviving work is very similar to that produced by Brind – mugs, tankards, sauceboats, and salts. Very little information is available concerning Saunders’ life and career. He took an apprentice, ‘James Scrubey’, in 1765 and he gave his address as Noble street, Foster lane when he registered his mark. He later moved to St. Martin’s Churchyard [1773 the Parliamentary Report], and to 3, Hare Court, Aldersgate street at the time of registering a second mark in 1778.
Good with some surface marking. Of nice colour and good weight.
Height – 11.70 cm.; Width – 13.8 cm.; Depth – 9.5 cm.; Weight – 390.20