A fine Blundell’s School Salver for a Master.
Blundell’s School, Devon.
A fine George IV Salver in the rococo revival manner, the border and feet cast and decorated with shells, flowers, vine leaves and grapes, and wheat ears, London 1823 by Cradock and Reid. The centre of the Salver is engraved with a view of the school above a presentation inscription surrounded by a wide field of flat-chased scrollwork, trellis panels, and flowers.
This Salver was one of three presented to John Ley Under-Master at the School on his retirement. Details of the presentation are to be found in ‘The History of Tiverton in the County of Devon, Book III’, published in 1845. Ley had been appointed Under-Master in 1788 and remained in that post for 36 years. He had been a pupil at Blundells and was admitted to Sidney Sussex College, Cambridge in 1779. On retiring from Blundell’s School, he was presented, by many of his scholars and others, with ‘Three handsome large silver salvers, (one of which was 24 inches in diameter,) weighing 293 ounces , on which was engraven the following inscription:
Johanni Ley, A.M. Scholae Blundellinae per annos xxxvii, E. magistris Erudito, probo, liberali, egregie, perfuncto tandem munere, discipuli et condiscipuli. Grati gratantes. D.D. Anno MCCCXXIV.
This presentation took place on the day of the anniversary meeting of Blundell’s scholars, (on the return of the procession from Church,) in the School Green, on the 27th of August 1824. He still resides in Tiverton.’
Diameter – 30.40 cm.; Weight – 1213.40 gms.